If you wish to travel to Brazil with your pet (dogs and/or cats), Brazilian law requires compliance with the following procedures prior to boarding:

1. You must obtain the following from a licensed veterinarian that resides in your jurisdiction: (a) original of International Zoosanitary Certificate – IZC, stating that the animal is in good health; (b) that the animal was examined within 10 days from the date of departure and no contagious disease was verified in the area of origin, and (c) that the USA is free of rabies.

If the veterinarian does not certificate that the USA is free of rabies, a rabies vaccination certificate must also be issued. First time rabies vaccination must be done at least 30 days prior to the intended date of arrival of the animal in Brazil. Both certificates may be issued by the veterinarian in one single document, and it must be properly stamped and signed, and bear the veterinarian’s name and his/her license number;

It is recommended that all documents are accompanied by a translation in Portuguese.

2. Both certificates (IZC and the rabies vaccination certificate) must be endorsed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture – USDA, within 10 days from date of departure. In the link below you will find the USDA office responsible for your state: www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel

Other Animals

The admittance of other kinds of animals is subject to a prior license from the MAPA (Ministry of Agriculture of Brazil). For further information please write to ctqa@agricultura.gov.br.

Once you have the proper authorization from MAPA to take your pet into Brazil, all documents (including the IZC and the rabies vaccination certificate, both documents endorsed by the USDA) must be sent or brought to the Consulate General of Brazil for legalization. There’s a fee of US$ 20.00 per document, payable by USPS money order only.


Please note that the admittance of birds is temporarily suspended. Nevertheless, there are several restrictions for admitance of birds in Brazil, and proper authorizations must be obtained from IBAMA, the Brazilian authority for the protection of wild animals, and from the MAPA (Ministry of Agriculture of Brazil). For further information please write to ctqa@agricultura.gov.br.

Source: Itamaraty

Leave a Reply